Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And They'll Know...

...We are Christians by our Love.
The problem is not a certain type of legislation or even a certain politician; the problem is the same that it has always been.
I am the problem. I think every conscious person, every person who is awake to the functioning principles within his reality, has a moment where he stops blaming the problems in the world on group think, on humanity and authority, and starts to face himself. I hate this more than anything. This is the hardest principle within Christian spirituality for me to deal with. The problem is not out there; the problem is the needy beast of a thing that lives in my chest...the thing I realized on the day we protested...was that it did me no good to protest America's responsibility in global poverty when I wasn't even giving money to my church, which has a terrific homeless ministry. I started feeling very much like a hypocrite.
Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz
Lord, help me to look in the mirror everytime I feel the urge to judge. Amen.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails