Monday, January 19, 2009

Immaculee

She stands to speak and I wonder what parts of her horrific story she will choose to tell us this morning. I read her book several years ago and remember it well. The audience of several hundred sits very quietly on this winter day. Leaning in. Listening. And when she shares something slightly humorous, the audience laughs too loud. I suppose we are releasing the tension and stress that has settled in our hearts upon hearing about such a nightmare. But strangely, there is hope and life in her words. Odd, indeed, when one speaks of living through a genocide.

As she walks us through the valley, I feel that she continually points out road markers for us along the way. These signs are what makes us yearn to follow her down this dark road. On the top of every single marker is one name: Jesus. And in slightly smaller letters we read other words. Trust. Obey. Love. Forgive. Believe. Hope. Pray. As difficult as it is to listen, her sign posts point to God and help us try to absorb what true evil looks like. We walk beside her this morning because we want to know how love conquers evil. Her words offer no magic formula...they simply point her morning traveling companions to a living Savior. We rise and applaud. And I am reminded again, through this sister in Christ, that God walks with me, too. Those signs mark all the paths in my walks, too! I am blessed this morning as I get to walk a bit with Immaculee. I am so glad she was left to tell.

How blessed all those in whom you live, whose lives become roads you travel; they wind through lonesome valleys, come upon brooks, discover cool springs and pools brimming with rain! God-traveled, these roads curve up the mountain, and at the last turn -- Zion! God in full view! Psalm 84:5-7

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails