Sunday, January 11, 2009

Come In, said Mrs. Beaver...

Thinking about "house envy" (see previous post) has reminded me of this funny conversation that transpired last May during a party we threw for work colleagues. This particular guest always asks me to give her a house tour (one of my favorite things to do) and earnestly "oohs and ahhs" throughout our home (be still my beating heart). My aunt may call our residence a "doll house", but this description makes me belly-laugh everytime I think about it.

Scene I: Narnia Analogy

Guest: Have you ever read “The Chronicles of Narnia”?

Me: Yes, I have!

Guest: Well, you know the part about Mr. and Mrs. Beaver’s house?

Me: Yes, I remember.

Guest: Well, that’s what your house reminds me of -- Mr. and Mrs. Beaver’s House!

Me: Ohhhhh. Uh. Um. I am going to take that as a compliment. I think.

Guest: Oh yes! The Beaver’s home was so cozy and warm. Just like yours. Only yours is bigger than Mr. and Mrs. Beaver’s.

I'm so glad I'm easily amused and not easily offended, especially since my nickname as a youngster was "Bucky Beaver" due to the unfortunate positioning of my two front teeth.


“Mr. Beaver finds the Pevensie children walking on a snow covered trail. They leave the trail and follow the talking beaver to his house. The house is made of sticks above a dam on the river.” The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails