Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This and That

This morning I'm sitting here in the school cafeteria sipping coffee while the boys play their GameBoys. Steve is watching them shoot their enemies (on GameBoy, of course) and Madison is still sleeping. In a little while we'll all take showers and get gussied up for the rest of our team. They stayed in Anchorage last night and will fly in sometime this afternoon. We are ready and excited to see them!

Yesterday we concluded our part of programming for the village kids and spent last evening sorting and organizing our supplies. We had begun this process last week, but when the other team came we decided to wait. I have also been assuming the construction workers would arrive any day now and they, too, would sleep in the school. No sight of them yet but the week is young.

I invited a little friend to sing at our Praise and Worship Service on Thursday evening. (She is the one going through the health scare right now.) She sang in church on Sunday and had I let myself, I would have just sat there and sobbed like a baby during her song. For there she stood, the only child wearing a hat, singing the old hymn "The Way That He Loves." She began the song by thanking Jesus for "loving me just the way I am." I would guess that a hush fell over heaven as she made her way to the front of the church.

When she and I were chatting yesterday she asked me if I saw all the people in church crying while she sang her song. I told her that no, I hadn't because I was seated up front. I asked her why she thought people cried when she sang, and she shrugged her shoulders. I shared my hunch with her: "I think we cried because your voice is so beautiful and sweet sounding...and because you reminded us how very much Jesus loves each one of us. And when people think about that, it makes some of us cry."

Each one of us has always been loved. The Way That He loves us is a miracle.

I'm glad God whispered His love to me through a child singing the other night. It seems He enjoys sending us His love through little ones. Whether in Bethlehem 2000 years ago or in a small fishing village today.

I love the way that He loves me.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails